This recipe is a delightful appetizer, perhaps for an upcoming Christmas party? Or, it is a cleverly disguised way to get your kids to eat their vegetables.
Either way, it was just yummy, and here is how mine turned out:
Here is the recipe:
“Zucchini is often cut into sticks, breaded, and then deep fried. This take on the old favorite is as delicious, but without the frying. The zucchini has a very delicate flavor, while the spicy, crunchy coating adds some zest. Serves 6″
4 cups Kellogg’s Corn Flakes
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 large zucchini, well washed, dried, trimmed, and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices
1 lemon, cut into small wedges, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Either lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
- Place the Kellogg’s Corn Flakes in a resealable plastic bag. Seal the bag and, using a rolling pin, crush the flakes to a fine crumb. Open the bag and measure the crumbs; you should have one cup.
- Place the egg white in a shallow soup bowl.
- Place the cereal crumbs in another shallow bowl. Stir in the salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste. Set aside.
- Working with a few pieces at a time, dip the zucchini slices into the egg white, shaking off excess, and then place the slices in the Corn Flake mixture, turning to coat well on both sides.
- Place the coated zucchini slices on the prepared baking sheet.
- When all of the zucchini has been coated, lightly spray each slice with nonstick vegetable spray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 7 minutes, or unti the zucchini is soft in the center and the coating is crisp and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with lemon wedges, if desired.
Eat, and enjoy!