CrockPot Steel Cut Oatmeal

This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.

I live for breakfast. It is my favorite meal of the day. So imagine waking up to the delicious scent of fresh oatmeal wafting from the kitchen, just waiting to be enjoyed!

Not just any oatmeal. Steel cut oats. Waaaaayyyy better than the mushy stuff in the microwave. Steel cut oats have a smooth yet hearty texture that the pickiest eaters are sure to enjoy.

Steel cut oats are whole grain groats which have been cut into only two or three pieces. Which means that the inner portion of the oat kernel is not missing so they pack extra  fiber and nutrients! They are golden in color and resemble small rice pieces. The cooking time is a bit longer than traditional rolled oats but so worth the wait!

crockpot-oatmeal

My dear friend Michelle introduced me to this simple method for enjoying steel cut oats- with a CrockPot!  Here is her recipe, which can be tweaked to suit your tastes:

oatmeal-crockpot

This is such a healthy and frugal way to enjoy your oatmeal. I purchase my oats in bulk at my local Sprouts for a fantastic price.

Have you tried Steel Cut Oats?

This post is linked to What’s In Your CrockPot? at Smockity Frocks and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Comments

1. says

I love steel cut oats, but no one else in my family does. This sounds like a great way to cook them. I also use an appliance timer for my crockpot and it works great.

2. says

Where do you get steel-cut oats? I’ve been curious about oat groats and rolling our own oats for granola and so on, but haven’t done the due diligence to find out the best sources.

The recipe looks like a little slice of morning Heaven!

• Alyssa Francis says

Dana,
      You might try your local health food store or specialty grocery store. You can usually buy them in metal canisters, but if you can find them in bulk, it is much cheaper! It is worth the extra effort to find them, I guarantee it. :)

3. Jennifer says

You should be able to find steel cut oats in the grocery store…I get mine at Shoprite. They are a bit more expensive, but it’s worth it! I cook mine in the rice cooker, using the ratio of oats to water on the package. It takes a bit less than 30 minutes and they turn out great! I add raisins or cranberries while they cook, and sweeten with a bit of brown sugar before serving.

• Jennifer says

Sorry…the messages bounced into my junkmail :)
        4 cups of water to 1 cup of steel cut oats. I usually start it cooking and then take a shower! By the time I’m done and dressed the oatmeal is done…maybe about 30 minutes. I like to put dried cranberries in while it cooks. They do get quite musy this way, so be aware of that….I just like the flavor they give. I love my rice cooker too!

• Cynde says

Jennifer,
      I bought the steel oats in bulk and don’t know the ratio of water to oats for the rice cooker. Do I use the same as the crock pot? 1/2 c oats to 4 cups water? My rice cooker is a smaller one.
      Thanks,
      Cynde

4. rene says

I tried making this type of oat on the stovetop and they didn’t come out so well, this sounds much better. Do you know if I can use regular oats in the crockpot too? Also, love the idea of an appliance timer. We have one for our outdoor lights I wonder if it would work indoors.
    .-= rene´s last blog ..IHOP National Pancake Day – February 23, 2010 =-.

• Alyssa Francis says

Hi Rene,
      I bet you could use regular oats, but cook for a shorter amount of time. Perhaps just experiment with the timing until you perfect the consistency? Although I am partial to my steel cut. ;)

• Alyssa Francis says

Nancy-

No, not the steel cut variety. They are heartier than rolled oats, so they can sit in water for several hours and still taste great! I really hope you like it, let me know what you think.

5. says

I have been waiting to buy a new crock pot with a timer on it. I have an appliance timer and i don’t know why I never thought to use it like this! Duh! Thank you! I’m going to have to steel cut oats in the morning! :)
    .-= arminda´s last blog ..no! he just got better! =-.

6. Ashley @ Just Another Mom of 2 says

Ooh, I would have loved this recipe when I was worried about my breastfeeding supply and I ate way more oats than is probably healthy!! This looks delicious, I bet my kids would love it!
    .-= Ashley @ Just Another Mom of 2´s last blog ..A Delicious, Easy Ham in the Crockpot =-.

• Alyssa Francis says

Ashley, too funny! I am currently breastfeeding and did not even think about the supply factor. I guess my son will be enjoying the benefits this week! :)

• Alyssa Francis says

You can find appliance timers at Walmart for around $5. They are usually near the paint and hardware section!

7. says

Thanks for this recipe, Alyssa. I just bought steel cut oats for the first time a few weeks ago, and I haven’t been able to find a recipe that allows them to taste good and cook right. I’ll have to try your recipe tonight!

8. Jen S. says

You could easily substitute butter if you don’t have coconut oil, it just helps with the texture.

I am fortunate enough to live in Amish Country, and get my steel cut oats in bulk from my local Amish store for a great price!

9. Colleen says

I have never used steel cut oats, but have recently been checking into them and I really like this crockpot way of cooking them. Thank you. Because someone asks, I found that there are other names for “steel cut oats.” Steel-cut oats are known as coarse-cut oats, pinhead oats, or Irish oats. Our local kroger grocery store sells them (although lately they have been out of them lol) and they are called “irish oats.” If I can ever catch them on the shelve I plan on trying this recipe.

• Alyssa Francis says

Colleen, thanks for sharing that fact! Hopefully that will make them easier to find. I had forgotten all about “Irish” oats. Great tips!

10. says

I’ve been making something like this for a few years. I use 1 c. steel cut oats with 3 c. unsweetened apple juice and 1 c. water plus cinnamon, raisins, and dried diced apples. I put it on low in the crock pot overnight and it’s ready in the morning. The kids love it and it is so healthy!
    .-= Sonya Mounts´s last blog ..Basement Beautification =-.

• Alyssa Francis says

Oh, that sounds wonderful! Adding the dried fruit is a great way to add some extra nutrition and flavor. Thanks for sharing!

11. says

Thanks so much for this idea! It sounds great!

I love steel cut oats! I eat them 3-4 times a week for breakfast, but I hate the cooking time! I get mine at our Commissary, so people that are looking for them should be able to find them at a regular grocery store (the commissary usually has more limit selection, so if they have them than most other stores probably would too). They are slightly more expensive, but so worth it!

Can’t wait to try this out!
    .-= Lauren @ Just Add Lauren´s last blog ..Why I Quit "The Grocery Game" and other thoughts about saving money =-.

12. Kathy says

I live in the Chicago suburbs and our Trader Joe’s sells steel-cut oatmeal. Where do you all buy the coconut oil? I’m going to have to buy an appliance timer at Wal-mart. Love that idea!

13. Kathy says

One more question. Is it okay for my 2 year old to eat the coconut oil? Her stomach is too sensitive for cod liver oil so I was wondering about the coconut oil.

• Valerie says

@Kathy, I just saw this. I’m in Aurora. Whole Foods and Fruitful Yield both have coconut oil. And its nothing like cod liver oil so it should be ok for your daughter :)