Essential Rewards Explained {Updated for 2017}

This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.

Editor’s Note: The graphics and information have been updated for 2017.

Young Living Essential Rewards Explained || AmyLovesIt.com

Essential Rewards come into play for those of you who have a wholesale account. You are not required to sell or distribute anything to reap the benefits of an Essential Rewards membership. See how to join with a wholesale account here.

What are Essential Rewards?

Essential Rewards (ER) is an autoship program (think “monthly box”) where you purchase 50 PV (PV actually stands for PERSONAL VOLUME, however, for this to make more sense, in this post I am referring to PV as product value or point value) every month. Usually, the Product Value is dollar for dollar in price value, but not always. Look at the PV of each product you are purchasing to make sure your PV (not necessarily amount spent) equals 50 every month.

With the Essential Rewards program, you will earn points toward future product purchases. This program rewards you for every “monthly box” purchase of 50 PV or more. You are allowed ONE Essential Rewards purchase per month, but can make as many regular orders as you wish. (Regular orders do not accumulate ER points.)

The example I have provided below is what my ER cart looks like right now. Obviously, I have more than the 50 PV requirement, so yours does not have to be this much, but I wanted to give you an idea of what multiple items in the cart look like, and how the PV vs. Dollar Amount Spent looks.

Essential Rewards Cart 2017 || AmyLovesIt.com

How do I earn points?

Each month on the Essential Rewards program gets you a certain amount of points – a percentage of what you purchase back in points that you can cash in at a later time to buy other wonderful Young Living products.

• In the first three months (months 1, 2, & 3), you get 10% back in ER point credits.
  • In the next twenty-one months (months 4 – 24), you get 20% back in ER point credits.
  • In every month after, beginning with month 25, you get 25% back in ER point credits.

That can add up fairly quickly, especially if you are taking advantage of the monthly promos, and even more quickly once you hit month 4. Your points begin to accumulate as soon as your order ships, and you can view your ER points every time you log in to your Virtual Office; they are right there on your main page.

PLUS!!! You get free oily gifts at months 3, 6, 9, and an exclusive Essential Rewards ONLY oil blend called Loyalty at 12 months. Let me tell you, this oil smells amazing! I was so excited to get mine, and it is absolutely incredible. Loyalty cannot be bought; you can only get it through 12 consecutive months of Essential Rewards orders!

Young Living Essential Rewards: Earn FREE Oils || AmyLovesit.com

How do I get an ER Account?

If you are just now joining Young Living, you can start on the ER autoship program right now! See how to join here, and then after selecting your Starter Kit, below it you will see Essential Rewards. You can choose an Essential Rewards Kit in addition to your Starter Kit, OR you can *customize* your ER order with whatever you want, as long as it is at least $50 in product (the dollar amount from your starter kit does NOT count toward your ER points or product dollar amount… you must have at least $50 in product IN ADDITION TO your starter kit).

If you are already a YL Wholesale Member, and want to join ER, you can sign up one of two ways. You do NOT have to purchase an Essential Rewards kit, ever, unless you want the products that come in them. {For example, the NingXia Red Essential Rewards kit is the absolute cheapest way to purchase NingXia Red.} If your account will not set up without one, add one, then add the products you want, and then delete the kit. Easy peasy.

• Online through your Virtual Office: This is where you purchase your YL products. Simply log in to your account, click “Essential Rewards” in the left-hand column, and follow the instructions.
  • Or, call YL at 1-800-371-2928.

Member ESSENTIAL REWARDS ENROLLMENT

Signing up for Essential Rewards at the Initial Enrollment (New Wholesale Member Account)

If you are signing up for your NEW wholesale membership with a Starter Kit, and want to join Essential Rewards at the same time, this is for you. This is where you sign up for Essential Rewards during initial enrollment. Young Living has made enrollment so easy.

1 NEW Member Enrollment Start HereAfter you input the member number of who introduced you to Young Living (if you came across something of mine and would like to join our Life Drops team, you may use my member number in both the Sponsor and Enroller box: 1323221; otherwise, PLEASE use the member number of the friend who has been sharing Young Living with you!), move onto the next page. Steps 1, 2, and 3 are all on one page, so you just have to scroll before inputting your name and payment information.

2 NEW Member Enrollment - Step 1 - Choose KitThis is where you choose your Starter Kit. More on that here.

4 NEW Member Enrollment Step 2 Set up ERThis is where you join Essential Rewards: you may join with one of the Essential Rewards kits above (NingXia Red or Thieves) OR you may customize your kit. Just be sure to add at least 50 PV when you customize it so your order will process.

5 NEW Member Enrollment Step 3 Continue EnrollmentAfter completing your Essential Rewards account, be sure to click the button that says, “Confirm Monthly Order.” Your Essential Rewards order will process on the date of your choosing.

1 Essential Rewards

Do I have to order the same things every single month?

Nope! This is the beauty of the ER program. You can change what you order every. single. month. The only “minimum” you have to reach is 50 PV. There are NO other requirements at all! This is a fantastic way to build your oil supply and try new oils and products.

It is super-easy to change your orders each month. Simply log in to Virtual Office, click on Essential Rewards in the left-hand corner, click the little “Edit” button, the “Add Products” tab, and the “Add Products” or “Remove Products” button to get your cart just like you want it. When you are finished, click the “Save Essential Rewards” button at the bottom.

How do I redeem my points?

Redeeming Essential Reards PointsThere are a few limitations. You can spend up to 375 points each month. Items with a blue-green banner beside them are eligible for points redemption. Items without the banner are not eligible.

2 Essential Rewards

When redeeming your points, pay careful attention to each item’s POINT VALUE, not price. As I mentioned above, most oils have a dollar-for-dollar price-to-point amount, but not all. If you are wondering how much point value you have to “spend,” here is an example:

• If you have 100 points in your account, you can redeem them for any product with a PV value up to 100 PV.
  • OR if you have 100 points in your account, you can redeem them for multiple products that have a TOTAL PV of up to 100.
  • All ER points redemption must be placed via “Quick Order.” You cannot use these on your Essential Rewards order.

When redeeming your points, please be aware that they do not cover tax or shipping.

3 Essential Rewards

PV Assistant

PV Assist

If something in your ER cart goes out of stock before your order processes, PV Assistant will add something from your special list so that you maintain the desired amount of PV.

I’m in the ER program, and I’ve decided I don’t want it any longer. What happens now?

If you decide the ER program is not a good fit for you, that’s ok! Before you cancel, just make sure to cash in any accumulated ER points because once you cancel, they are gone. Use up those points, and then call YL customer service to cancel, with no penalties.

I will be honest with you. I did not sign up for the ER program until January 2013. I had been a YL member since April (I finally figured out what month I signed up. Ha!) 2012, and y’all… I missed out on so. many. stinkin’. ER points that it’s not even funny! Ack! When I think of the orders I placed and the money I would have saved… ugh. So, don’t make my mistake! If you even think you are going to be placing an order every month, it is SO worth it to get on the ER program! It will save you a bundle in the long run. Trust me.

Commissions and Bonuses

I’ve had so many requests for this, I finally got smart and just added it to the post. Ha! If you are wondering about commissions and bonuses, you do not have to have Essential Rewards. However, if you are spending the required PV every month to receive a check, you might as well reap the benefits of an Essential Rewards order!

Bonues-&-Commissions-Explained

There is only one bonus that requires Essential Rewards, and that is the Rising Star Team Bonus. To get everything else, all you need is a 50 PV or 100 PV order. Honestly, if you are building a business, your absolute best bet to you don’t miss out on anything: bonuses, commissions, AND those great ER points – is to place at least a 100 PV order on Essential Rewards. However, ER is not a requirement to receive a paycheck.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. I’m just a mom sharing my experience! Image sources: youngliving.org and Oily Families

Comments

1. Sarah says

Just wanted to say thank you so much for posting this! I was really confused about how the ER program worked, so I did a google search, and your post answered my questions! Thanks again!! :)

2. melanie says

Amy, I must echo what so many others have said. Your post here is by far the most helpful information that i have found about ER. I have been with Young Living for over 2 years, for my own personal use. I have not been able to join ER, but now I am looking into it. Thanks for taking time to explain a rather confusing program and answer questions for so many individuals. One detail that i am still not 100% sure of: the YL site says that Points may only be redeemed for products with full PV values. What does this mean? thanks again for helping the rest of us along!

• says

Hi Melanie!

I am SO glad this post has been helpful for you! To answer your question, each product has a dollar value and a product/point value (PV for short). Most products have “full PV,” meaning their product/point value equals the dollar amount. When you add these products to a quick order, there are several columns explaining each amount. The PV amount of a single product will show up in the first column, labeled as “Item PV,” followed by the Price of a single item, then “PV Subtotal” (which is either the PV amount of the single product OR the cumulative amount of purchasing more than one of the same product), and then “Subtotal,” which is the cumulative amount of the dollar amount of purchasing a single product OR multiple of the same product. Hope that helps! If you have further questions, don’t hesitate to reach out and I’ll do my best to answer them!

– Amy

3. Angie says

Amy, a sincere, heartfelt thank you for your knowledge and experience in helping me understand how ER, commissions and bonuses work. I’ve been in YL for almost a year, and now I am beginning to work it as a business. (I’m in a bootcamp for learning how to do that!) My downline team needs clarification about how essential rewards works, and your excellent blog of Q&A has been incredibly helpful! I know my team will easily understand it thanks to you and to the people who have had questions that you answered. Thank you immensely!

• says

Hi Angie! I’m SO glad the post has been helpful to you and your downline. Bootcamp is a fantastic way to learn about the business side of things! Welcome to #teamYL! :)

4. Patty Lindley says

If you want to receive the full $50 from a sign-up do you have to have 100Pv or 50Pv? I just heard it’s 50Pv, but always thought it was 100. thanks!

• says

Hi Patty!

You will receive the $25 Starter Kit bonus + 25% Fast Start bonus (usually amounts to $25 if they order a Premium Starter Kit) for a new signup. If a new PSK signup orders MORE than the PSK, there will be a bit more in the 25% Fast Start bonus as far as commission goes, and to get ALL of that commission, yes you would need a 100 PV order.

If you simply want the regular bonuses for the new signup that equal to $50, then a 50 PV order is all you need. :)

Hope that helps!
      – Amy

5. Sydney Bomar says

Hey Amy! Thanks so much for helping me understand ER. I have a question I’m confused about:

I joined YL as a distributor on April 21. I purchased my own premium starter kit when signing up, and a few days later I signed up a new member with a starter kit. I am not enrolled in ER yet. Will I be getting paid the $25 commission for the first kit I sold in my first month? If so, when would I be receiving a check? Should I have expected the check at the end of April, or a month from when I signed up myself, May 21? Confused about the fast start bonuses as well as if pay periods vary from person to person, even though in my virtual office my points/ranking reset at the conclusion of the calendar month.

Thank you!

• says

Hi Sydney!

Commission checks are not reliant upon whether or not you have Essential Rewards. If you signed up a new member the same month you spent 100 PV on a Premium Starter Kit – which it sounds like you did in April – you can count on your check to be processed around the 20th of May. Look for it in the mail around 5 days after it processes.

Pay periods and ranks all have a fresh start on the first of the month. Checks for the previous month are processed somewhere between the 17th and 20th, depending on how the calendar falls. You can begin checking your account to see if your check has processed around the 17th or 18th. Your commissions will be posted under the “My Commissions” link, which is under the My Account” link in the left-hand column of your virtual office.

Hope that helps… and congrats on your first member! So exciting!!!
      -Amy

6. Erin says

I just joined and signed up for essential rewards (a $51 order) Do you get any PV for buying the starter kit? Or do you only get PV on essential rewards orders only?

• says

Hi Erin!

You get 100 PV for purchasing a starter kit, but that PV does not count toward your Essential Rewards points. If you ordered a Premium Starter Kit (100 PV) plus a 51 PV Essential Rewards order, if your ER processes the same month, your PV will equal 151. However, the 10% back in ER points is only accumulated from the 51 PV Essential Rewards order. Hope that helps!

XO,
      Amy

• Jessica says

So in Erin’s case,can she do anything with the 151 PV? Does the PV reset to 0 every month?
        I am wondering because I set up ER after I purchased my starter kit so right now I have PV but no ER credit yet, what can I do with my PV at this point?
        Thanks!
        Jessica

7. Cherie says

This blog is so helpful! Thanks so much. I am a new distributor and my question is if I want to purchase a website from YL to do online ordering, do the orders that members (both regular and distributor) place go towards my monthly PV and OPV? ER goes towards my PV and OPV as well right but we get special offers by participating in ER. Am I understanding ER, PV and OPV correctly? Also, can I place a link to my YL purchased website on my personal website?

Thanks so much for your help!

• says

Hi Cherie!

I am so glad you found this blog helpful! :)

Wholesale member/Distributor orders from people you sign up (aka, your downline) count toward your OGV… Overall Group Volume.

Your personal orders, Essential Rewards and/or Quick Orders count toward your PV… personal volume. Your PV is also included in your OGV. Example: your downline members order a total of 1000 PV, and you order 100 PV… your final OGV is 1100 (your PV + the PV of all those under you that ordered that month).

The special offers you get for being on Essential Rewards include: a percentage of your ER order back in ER points; a free oil if you order at least 100 PV on ER; bonus oils at months 3, 6, 9, and 12; and reduced shipping options.

Yes, you should be able to place your YL purchased website link on your personal website! :)

Hope that helps!

XO,
      Amy

8. Alexa says

Thanks for sharing this very informative article. In nutshell, what do new members get (other than the products that they ordered?) ? Can PVs be used to buy other products?

9. Sony says

Hi, just want to ask if the PV i made in ER can be considered as my PV to make my account active thus earning the commission? Thanks

10. says

Your information is the best by far. My question is do you have to sign up for essential rewards to PV points? Basically do you get points from single purchases or only once you have committed to a month purchase. I hope that makes since because I am still confused a bit. Asking for my wife because she is confused too.

Thanks, Josh

11. Jackie O'Keefe says

I’m ordering my starter kit Monday and I’m so excited! I have a few other items to add as well and am signing up for ER. Question: Does the PV from my starter kit (100 pv) count toward my total PV? It has 100pv listed next to it, but I feel like I remember hearing that you won’t get credit for your starter kit pv. Maybe I’m making that up. Either way, thank you for this helpful post!