From contributing writer Meagan of Frugal Fun and Fortune
Rush. Rush. Rush.
Summer is coming to an end, and with it comes the back-to-school craze. Driving the kids here. Racing across town there. Grocery shopping. Bill paying. Cooking. Cleaning. Laundry. Work. To-do lists. Errands. Doctor’s appointments.
It’s seems like we can never get a moment to breathe. We run ourselves ragged, miss out on much-needed sleep, and often over-commit. In this 9 to 5 society of non-stop GO, sometimes it’s truly necessary to force ourselves to s-l-o-w-d-o-w-n.
When was the last time you carved out some precious time for some of the following stress-relieving, relaxing, and enjoyable activities?
- Baking cookies… just for fun
- Lying under the stars and taking it all in
- Watching the sun climb higher in the sky
- Spending a day at the park
- Dancing freely
- Singing your heart out
- Laughing until you cry
- Writing a letter to a friend
- Chatting over coffee
- Taking snapshots of everyday life
- Taking a nap on a rainy day
- Choosing the scenic route on the drive home
- Painting your nails a crazy color
- Looking through old photo albums
- Finding adventure outside
- Having a tea party
- Taking a bubble bath
- Spending a little extra time on your hair and makeup
- Listening to music on a lazy afternoon
- Exploring nature trails
- Feeling the wind on your face
- Watching wildlife
- Turning off the sound (electronics, Internet, TV)
- Taking a stroll, hand-in-hand with your spouse
- Creating meaningful art
Maybe these seem childish, or perhaps this list seems like whimsical dreaming. But maybe, just maybe, this list can inspire some therapeutic ideas for simple and enjoyable living.
Whatever it is that clears your mind, soothes your heart, and relaxes your body… it’s very important that you find time for it.
We keep going… and going… and going. We get depressed. We stress out. We destroy our physical and mental health. We are TIRED; all the time.
That to-do list can be put aside from time to time. It will always be there, pressuring us to extend ourselves beyond our limits.
Today, let’s take some time to enjoy life. Let’s be kind to ourselves.
And tomorrow? We will be well-rested. We will feel refreshed and ready to tackle that to-do list. We can accomplish more.
It will be worth it.
God created that day of rest for a reason. He knew it was necessary…
What is your favorite way to relax, unwind and enjoy life?
About Meagan Newsome
Meagan authors Frugal Fun & Fortune, where she writes about saving money, giving to others, delicious Vegetarian recipes, simple living, and her life adventures. Her greatest passions include chasing after God wholeheartedly, social justice and being a good wife. You can connect with her on Facebook and Twitter.
Read more by Meagan -> | Blog