The Bible in 90 Days: Are You Ready?

This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.

bible-90-days

In just a few short days, we will begin an adventure together. Of all the goals I have for the new year, reading the Bible in 90 days is by far the biggest. And most likely the most life-changing.

I must admit I am apprehensive about this commitment. With the full support of my husband, daily encouragement from Amy, and my wonderful readers who keep me accountable, I know I have every chance of succeeding. But there is still this nagging fear of failure in the back of my mind.

Amy wisely asked her readers: what’s your time trade off?

As you get ready to begin reading on January 1, what is it that your hour-ish daily reading time will replace? Will it be sleep? sit-coms? leisure reading? web-surfing?

I know the answer for me without hesitation: computer time. To accomplish this goal, I know my laptop must. stay. shut.

Amy also gave a little background on how this program came to be. This inspiring testimony really hit home for me. The creator, Ted Cooper, is a former agnostic who decided to read through the Bible in 90 days to answer some questions. Half-way through the Old Testament, he became a Christian.

I am actually a former atheist myself. And that story is for another post, another day (maybe). ;) However, I have never read through the entire Bible.

Because I had little exposure to the Word until adulthood, there are chunks of the Bible I know I have never laid eyes on. Although I am already deeply committed to keeping the Kingdom first in my life, I can only imagine this will deepen my passion and knowledge.

I do want to stress that anyone can participate in this challenge, with any Bible.  You can print out this bookmark reading schedule to keep you on track.

Amy does mention that a major component for successfully completing the Bible in 90 Days Challenge is using the official program Bible. You can still obtain one here or also on Amazon. There are also a limited number of scholarship Bibles available for those who truly wish to participate but are not be able to purchase one.

There is one other option you might consider- iTunes. The Bible in 90 Days is actually available as an audio book download for $2.95 per week. I will probably supplement my reading occasionally with this option during my busier weeks.

If you are a blogger participating in this challenge, be sure to officially sign up here to become part of the online community at Moms Toolbox. You can also join in the weekly Twitter chats for support and discussion on Monday nights, 8-9pm CST (note the change of time) by following the #B90Days hashtag.

I am so excited to embark on this journey! I can’t think of a better way to begin 2010, can you?

Comments

1. Julie @ Life Domestic says

Generally, as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, we get through the Bible in a little over a year. We have a weekly Bible reading to complete during our Ministry School for each week. There are so many wonderful and deep things in the scriptures to me reading it in such a short time span would make me wonder what I was missing. I am one that loves to “dig” into the Bible. I have an excel spread sheet that you can put the date at the top that you start (just in case you don’t start on January 1) and it will give you what chapters to read each day so that you are completely through it in one year. I truly pray you will accomplish your goal and may you find and cherish all the truths within the covers.

2. says

Alyssa,

I think it’s a wonderful and I am so happy that you have many people supporting you! The hardest part for me is just when you sit down to read the Devil always manages to make something happen to distract you! We do a thing at my church where we read the bible in a year, it’s a track that they put out fo r any one that wants to use! Wishing you lot’s of luck and may God Bless you and your family!
    .-= Melissa @ConsumerQueen´s last blog ..Coupons, Coupons & More Coupons! =-.

3. Marnie says

I have my 90 day bible and am ready to start tomorrow. But I, too, am afraid of failure. I guess I will just keep plugging along and keep going. I am also starting a weight loss program tomorrow so the New Year is going to be full of new and exciting challenges for me. Thanks for inspiring myself and many others. I hope to complete these goals and become a much better person and Christian in the process.

4. Betsy says

So proud of all of you who are taking on this challenge. Just remember, 90 days may be the “challenge” but the goal is reading through God’s Word in completion. If you miss a day, forgive yourself, read the next day, and come to peace with 91 days. Particular surprises I encountered were my new loves for the following books: Exodus, Joshua, and Hebrews. Be prepared that this will become habit forming. You will look forward to this part of your day!

• Alyssa Francis says

Betsy,
      You are SO right. Thank you for that reminder. I am looking forward to those “surprises” as well.

5. says

Thanks mfor sharing it is available on itunes. I may be starting a carpool in January, but if I don’t that’s a great option for commuters who spend a good chunk of time in the morning and afternoon in their cars.

6. says

I feel a little sick thinking about it. I’m scared! Like you, I’m afraid of failing. I’m afraid of falling behind and not being able to catch up. I’m going to trade off my lunch time at work – hopefully that will be enough time. If it’s not, I’ll have to use some computer time, as well.

Thank you so much for sharing this project, Alyssa. I wouldn’t have heard about it otherwise.
    .-= Tara @ Feels Like Home´s last blog ..Nurturing Trains? =-.

• Alyssa Francis says

Tara,
      So glad to hear you are on board! We can encourage each other each day on Twitter. I dub you my accountability buddy! We CAN do this! :)

7. says

Good for you – I tried to read the Bible in 90 days with this version, regretably I did not make my goal – I did however manage to read through the entire Bible from Genesis to Revelation in a bit more time, which I was really happy with – I have been a Christian since childhood but I still, like you, had read it in pieces & never the whole thing

I’m sure with your support system you will meet your goal – I look forward to hearing more about it.
    .-= Janine (Cheap Cookin Mama)´s last blog ..Cookbook giveaway =-.

8. says

I plan to tackle this, as well. I’m a little tickled at how frightened all of us are to commit to this. We are all so scared to fail, aren’t we? But what if we fail at reading God’s word — we have still been in God’s word! What if we only get half-way through? That is not failure — that is God’s word! Of course, I want to complete all of it!

You mentioned the audiobooks for $2.95 — just found the podcasts — FOR FREE! Those won’t be ideal for me, as my mind will wander, but I think I’m going to get them as reinforcement.
    .-= Sarah S.´s last blog ..Give, and Give Abundantly =-.

• Alyssa Francis says

Thank you for the encouragement, Sarah. You are so right about the failure thing. Even half-way would be a huge accomplishment for many people.

So excited you found FREE podcasts! Do share a link if you have it!

9. says

OKAY, I AM IN!!! I am scared, and also feel like it is a failure just waiting to happen, but if I can have encouragement from other moms – how can I feel like a failure trying to stay in God’s word?? :-) I noticed on the 90 day web-site you can listen to chapters free of charge there, so that will help me out on days I just need to listen……I pray this will be life changing for many people, especially me!
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Am I the Only Old Fashioned Mom Left? =-.

10. says

Well wishes on the Bible-reading challenge. In the past I have tried several times (well, maybe a couple) in trying to read through the Bible. I’ve failed each time. I’m not ready to begin again and, in fact, I am not interested in trying at this time. Big SIGH. The past two years have been a spiritual Sahara for me. I know it’s all my fault, but it doesn’t make it any easier. I’ll be routing you on and will look forward to your revelations and sharing.

Athiest? Really? Wow. Looking forward to hearing about what changed your life. Or how. Happy New Year Alyssa!
    .-= Petula´s last blog ..Dear… =-.

11. says

Hi Alyssa! Day one, check. I am amazed every single time I give my full attention to the Word. I have a lot of questions. I don’t know much about the Old Testament. If I were a comic strip character, my thought bubble would contain a “?”, and my face would bear a quizzical look.
    My grandparents and my mother are diving into the challenge as well. We are all full of gratitude for this opportunity to grow in Christ together. I became a believer in September, a happening my family has prayed for since I walked away from church in high school.
    Thank you for sharing this challenge. I can only imagine the cascade of blessings it will bring as the sharing propagates.

Blessings!!
    .-= Johnnie´s last blog .. =-.

• Alyssa Francis says

Amy- yes, it is a regular Bible, with a few key differences. The pages are marked for when to stop and when to start. The print is large, and the pages are very thin. There are very minimal footnotes to avoid distraction. I like that it seems less overwhelming this way.

You could definitely use your own Bible and just follow along with the bookmark reading schedule. I recommend printing it out. :)

Happy to hear you are joining in and I LOVE the name of your blog!

12. says

Alyssa, I am in! I too came to Christianity as an adult and have never read the Bible all the way through. I know there is so much I am missing! Thanks for sharing this with us and helping us be accountable!

13. Meg says

I’m using youversion.com on my iPhone to get the daily readings there.
    I’m a bit embarrassed to say I’ve been a believer since I was a child and have been in church all my life and have never read the Bible entirely through. I’ve tried, just quit mid way. I like the 90 day challenge. For some reason, it seems easier than a whole year. But, I realize that’s crazy logic. Anyway, I’m in. I’m off to read day 1 right now!

• Alyssa Francis says

Meg- That’s not crazy logic at all. ;) I agree, I have a short attention span and I am much more likely to complete this in 90 days than one year!

14. says

well I have already failed at ordering my 90 Day Bible to have it in time to start today so I was greatful you posted the link to the reading schedule.

I agree with Sarah S. is it really failing if we have read even a bit more than we would have normally? If it is an incentive to open the pages and make us think haven’t we made progress!

Good Luck to us all and I hope to have time to chat & twitter with you all.

shannon

• Alyssa Francis says

Shannon- I am now following you on Twitter! So happy to have the support of all these women. Glad to hear the reading schedule was helpful for you.

15. says

I am so excited about this challenge I have tried to read my Bible from cover to cover but never had any success, so hopefully with such a determined community I will gain enough strenth to do it in “90 days”. I just wish i had read about it before now so I could be more prepared yet it is never late than never.
    I once heard that doing something for 21 days straight will make it a habbit ;-)

16. Stacie says

I have been see-sawing back and forth, trying to decide if I could commit to this. I have been, for the past several years ,reading through the Bible in one year. This year, however, I fell behind and have been disappointed with myself. So the 90 day seemed a bit daunting. However, I have been feeling very convicted, (spend less time reading couponing blogs) and decided tonight to commit to it. So, tonight I read the first 16 chapters of Genesis. It was great!! I loved it! I even started writing notes. I have one question, though. What is the benefit of using the special NIV version??? I prefer King James, and my husband just bought me a new one for Christmas.

• Alyssa Francis says

Hi Stacie! Thanks so much for your comment. I totally understand what you are saying about it seeming daunting. I guess for me, I realize that a one year goal is unrealistic. I am more likely to complete this in a shorter time frame, even if it means reading longer each day.

You can certainly use your own version and follow along with the schedule. For me personally, the NIV is easier to read than the KJV, only because I have had little exposure to it. The special 90 days version is very thin and tells you where to stop and start each day. Not a requirement for participating, but very helpful!

So excited you are on board with the challenge! We can do this together.

17. Rachel Knox says

Thank you for posting this! For years I have wanted to do this, but I tried a few times and always got stuck in Leviticus. So then the times I thought about starting again I was discouraged. I am excited and a little nervous about this plan. But I want to do it, there are so many bible verses I have read in The Excellent Wife, that I never knew where in the Bible! That opened my eyes to see that I really didn’t know as much as I want to! Thanks again for sharing about this! :)

18. Becky Craig says

Just wondered how your Bible reading is going? I took you up on your challenge and in turn, challenged my husband! He accepted, and while we read on our own, we get together every couple of days and have discussions on what we have read and how the Lord spoke to us! It’s an awesome way to build two relationships–with God and with your spouse! I did this, by the way, three years ago (on my own) and it took me 92 days. Two things that I have been struck with this time through is God’s mercy and His grace!